Friday, August 6, 2010

Tofu Tacos, Corn Elote & a Green Smoothie for good measure!

Friday is here and for most of you that means 2 days off, I work weekends so I will be enjoying my friday when Sunday rolls around. I'd like to apologize as this post has minimal photos :( The food was so good, everything was half eaten before I realized I had no pictures. I guess I will just have to make it again, poor me...lol. I love Mexican food, it is my favorite cuisine...always has been! So I give to you, tofu tacos and corn elote (pronounced: el-eat-o) a delicious, cheesy corn casserole. Corn Elote was something my family grew up on and I never thought to veganize it until last night, actually that is a lie. I had thought about it but I knew it would be an expensive dish to make and I wasn't quite sure how to succesfully complete it as all the ingredients are "melty" and usually the egg would hold it together. Anyways, enough of my babble, I made it work and decided I had to share it with you all, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!


Corn Elote
  • 1 can cream corn
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 cup sour cream (I used tofutti)
  • 2 cups cheese (I used Earth Island Monterey Jack)
  • 6 tbsps eNerg egg replacer, powder only
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • Salsa or hot peppers *optional
Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, fold gently, do not over mix. Pour mixture into greased casserole dish and bake for 60* minutes. *Because all the ingredients are "melty" and there is no real egg to bind everything together you may need to cook longer.Check the consistency of dish, if it is still a little wet, throw 'er back in for 15-30 mins.


Tofu Tacos
  • 1 pkg extra firm tofu (175g)
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 1/2 pkg taco seasoning
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • water
  • veggies (lettuce, tomato, cucumber and whatever else you like)
  • taco shells or tortillas
  • sour cream & salsa
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions until tender. Crumble tofu into pan, stir, add taco seasoning and a bit of water. Simmer until excess moisture is gone. Set aside.

Salsa
  • 4-5 small tomatoes
  • 3-4 basil leaves
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1/4 onion
  • pinch of sea salt
  • dash of lime juice
Put all ingredients in blender or magic bullet. Voila!


Green Smoothie
  • 2 cups mixed fruit (I used graes, melons, peaches & strawberries
  • 1 handful pineapple
  • 1 handful spinach
  • 1 chunk ginger
  • 2 cups water
Blend and enjoy!

1 comment: