Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Simple Summer Supper!

The weather has taken a turn for the better. The sun is back in full force as is any air conditioner in my vicinity!!! Last night we decided to bbq, it just seemed right. All week I have been meaning to make terryaki tofu and of course all bottled terryaki has sugar so my plan was to make it from scratch. All the recipes I found called for brown sugar and a coworker suggested I try to do a polynesian style terryaki and use pineapple in lieu of the sugar. What an awesome idea, only problem is now all my pineapple is gone...hrmmm what to do. Improvise! As always, I never have the ingredients a recipe calls for (or just don't like them) modify, modify, modify it is! I had plums & peaches, it had to work...had to! This also gave me the opportunity to use some of the dried herbs that April and I did last week. Here it is folks, Plum Terryaki Tofu, Roasted Veggies and Quinoa!


Plum Terryaki
  • 2 plums
  • 2 peaches
  • 1/3 cup Braggs
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 1 large chunk ginger
  • 1/4 onion, finely sliced
Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat, cook until thickened and sweet(ish). Set aside to cool and add tofu once it is dry fried. When tofu is done marinating, reheat in pan with marinade and serve!

Tofu
  • 1 175g package extra firm tofu
Press out tofu and remove as much water as possible. Slice lengthwise into strips. Dry fry over medium heat until golden brown on each side. Marinate for 30 mins or more in Plum Terryaki.

Roasted Veggies
  • Asparagus ( garlic, vegan margarine)
  • Turnips ( garlic salt, vegan margarine, chives)
  • Peppers ( red, yellow, orange peppers)
Wraps veggies in foil with their corresponding ingredients. Throw on BBQ, check after 10 mins.

Quinoa
  • 1 cup veggie broth
  • 1 cup quinoa
Bring to a boil, reduce to low. Cook for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment