Saturday, August 7, 2010

Maharagwe courtesy of the Vegan Police

I woke up this morning to rain. Really? It's August, why is it raining?? I'll be honest, I like the rain and since I am working today it really doesn't bother me. In fact, I like that it is a little cooler than usual because I tend to overheat easily. This dreary weather made me think of Maharagwe which was originally posted on the Vegan Police Forums. I would have to say about a year ago is when I first stumbled upon The Vegan Police! I was trolling facebook as usual and saw that Sarah Kramer had become a fan, of course I had to investigate. Turns out it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Dylan, Ryan & Crista are great people. I hope one day I can make the trip out to St.Catherines to meet them in the flesh. It seems like the ultimate Canadian city for vegans. I love their podcasts, always awesome indie music and so much information about being vegan that if you aren't already, you will want to be! Below is my jazzed up version of Maharagwe, I hope you all enjoy :) 



Maharagwe
 
You will need:
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 19oz chickpeas
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes, strained
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2 tsps turmeric
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 3/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsps olive oil
  • 1 pkg (175g) extra firm tofu*, cubed
  • 1 handful of spinach*

Heat oil over medium heat in a deep pan and cook the chopped onion until it is soft and golden. Mash** the chickpeas with a fork and then throw them in with the onion. Add the chopped tomatoes, spices, tofu and coconut milk. Stir. Cover and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach, turn off heat and cover. Remove from element once spinach is slightly wilted and a nice bright green. Serve with quinoa & garlic naan.
 
* Optional, not pictured above. This makes the dish even more amazing!!
** I like some chickpeas still whole, it's up to you whether or not you mash them completely.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment